This pocket sized guide provides information on night transport and having a safe night out in Perth CBD and the Northbridge entertainment precinct. It includes information on late night public transport and where to get information about buses, trains and taxis. A central city map shows locations of services including public transport, supervised taxi ranks, car parks and toilets.
Taxis are a convenient way to get around Perth - learn safety tips for taxi passengers - especially females.
Adelaide City Council - Safer Dispersal Project
The need for Managed Taxi Ranks in the City was identified at a City Safety forum and via research conducted by Adelaide City Council while developing the Liquor Licensing Policy. This research highlighted that the provision of safer late night transport options from the City makes a significant contribution to reducing alcohol-related violence and harms.
The City has four Managed Taxi Ranks located:
- West End, on Morphett Street near its intersection with Hindley Street established February 2007);
- Casino, on North Tce in front of the Adelaide Railway Station;
- West Terrace in front of the HQ nightclub; and
- East End, on Pulteney Street near its intersection with Rundle Mall.
A further two managed taxi ranks are to be designed and implemented in 2011/12.
Features of Managed Taxi Ranks:
- Staffed at key times e.g. 11am-3am Fridays, 11am- at least 5am Saturdays;
- Good lighting, clear signage, and high levels of surveillance, from vehicle and pedestrian traffic, CCTV and regular police beat patrols;
- Reduces conflicts and provides safer transport home from the key entertainment precincts;
- Provides supervised waiting for taxis;
- Provides a meeting or refuge point for those who feel at risk; and
- The Taxi Council of SA staff (concierge and security officer) are well known for their friendly management of the Rank, making people enjoy the experience of waiting for a taxi.
- Rank staff (the Concierge and Security Officer) gather data and prepare weekly rank reports to enable a thorough, ongoing evaluation to be conducted by Council.